Sport Premium funding has been allocated to primary and special schools by the Government for the academic years September 2013 – August 2016.
DFE PE and School Sport Premium Funding
The government is providing additional funding of £150 million per annum for academic years 2013 to 2014 and 2014 to 2015 to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding – provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport – will be allocated to primary school headteachers.
- This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
- Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of Physical Education and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
- From September 2013, schools will be held to account over how they spend their additional, ring-fenced funding. Ofsted will strengthen the coverage of PE and sport within the ‘Inspectors’ handbook’ and supporting guidance so that both schools and inspectors know how sport and PE will be assessed in future as part of the school’s overall provision.
Primary PE and Sport Premium – Revised Vision and Objectives, 26 January 2015
All pupils leaving primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
OBJECTIVE: To achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport in primary schools.
We would expect indicators of such improvement to include:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
- the profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport.
Primary & Special School Sport Premium Support
The Hunts School Sports Partnership (SSP) has an extensive subscription service that supports primary schools to meet all of the outcomes of the Sport Premium and many schools have purchased the Hunts SSP’s subscription service and are working with us.
For more information click here.
Order your Cambridgeshire Scheme of work now, go to:
Remember this is appropriate use of your Sport Premium funding.